Office of the Registrar

The University of Mississippi

2017 Summer Registration Information


Academic Calendar

Go to and click on Academic Calendar to see the schedule for summer 2017.

Course Schedule

Go to and select Guest Access, or sign in using your Ole Miss WebID. Select Course Registration workset. Select course schedule. Select the academic term and year you wish to view.

About Registration

All registration is completed online. Complete instructions on how to register and to make schedule adjustments (drop/add) are explained later in this publication.

Priority Registration begins March 27 and is open to any continuing student, to former students who have been readmitted and to new graduate students who have been fully admitted. Each student should make an appointment with his or her academic adviser and develop a schedule for the summer terms during that week, making sure to include two or three substitute courses in case some first-choice courses are not available. New and new transfer students to the Oxford campus will participate in an orientation session, where they will be advised and their adviser hold will be released. These students will not need to schedule an appointment ahead of time.

Academic Advising must be completed by any continuing student, former students who have been readmitted and new graduate students who have been fully admitted before they can select classes. These students should make an appointment with their adviser prior to or during the advising period.

College or School Advising Coordinator Location Telephone
Health Professions Dr. Wayne Gray 359 Martindale 915-1674
Accountancy Hillary Goulding 200C Conner 915-5009
Business Administration Stephanie Crosbie 220 Holman 915-7558
Education Whitney Webb 107 Guyton Annex 915-7382
Law School Eddie Upton 2068 Law School 915-7361
Pharmacy David Gregory 1023 NPC 915-7996
General Studies Christie Rogers 202 E.F. Yerby Center 915-3135
Undecided Students Center for Student Success & First Year Experience 350 Martindale 915-5970
Liberal Arts Students in the College of Liberal Arts will be advised by a faculty member. They may identify their advisers by checking the Web.
Applied Sciences Students in the School of Applied Sciences will be advised by a faculty member. They may identify their advisers by checking the Web.
Engineering Students in the School of Engineering will be advised by a faculty member. They may identify their advisers by checking the Web.
Journalism Students in the School of Journalism and New Media will be advised by a faculty member. They may identify their advisers by checking the Web.
Graduate School Graduate students should consult their advisers instead of the Graduate School.

Schedule Adjustment (drop/add). During the summer, students may add courses through the third day of each of the summer sessions (June and July) and the fifth day of the full summer term. Classes may be added for May and August intersession through the second day in which classes meet. After these deadlines, they must have the approval of the instructor in the class and an academic dean. See the Academic Calendar at for the last possible day to register or to add classes. Any deviation from this policy is made only under extraordinary circumstances approved by the dean of the school or college in which the student is enrolled.

Dates for Schedule Adjustment (drop/add) are listed in the Academic Calendar at

There is a charge for schedule adjustments after the last official day to add classes or to register. Beginning on that date, each transaction (each drop and each add) will incur a charge of $10, which will be added to the student’s account with the bursar (student billing and receivables). See the calendar for these dates.

Students must use the web to register for courses. Go to to find locations for computers available to the public.

How to Register

  • Step 1 — Develop a schedule with your adviser. You must meet with your adviser to receive important instructions prior to accessing the registration system. See locations above.
  • Step 2 — You will go to to register. Sign in using your Ole Miss WebID. Detailed instructions on how to register are provided on this link:
  • Step 3 — When you have completed registration, be sure to close your brower so no one else may access your schedule.

SPECIAL NOTE: If you enrolled in an ONLINE course, you are responsible for checking your Ole Miss email account for information about accessing the class. For more information on online courses, go to

Back to Top

Notice on Billing and Payment of Fees

Phase 1 Registration Period

  • Students who register during Phase 1 will be billed on the next monthly bursar statement. These bills will be emailed to your UM issued email address.
  • The dates for Phase 1 are as follows:
    • Intersession, first summer term and full summer from March 27, 2017 to April 30, 2017
    • Second summer term from March 27, 20176 to May 31, 2017
    • August intersession from March 27, 2017 to June 30, 2017

Phase 2 Registration Period

  • Students who register during Phase 2 will be billed on the next monthly bursar statement. These bills will be emailed to your UM issued email address.
  • The dates for Phase 2 are as follows:
    • Intersession from May 1, 2017 to May 14, 2017
    • First summer term and full summer from May 1, 2017 to May 29, 2017
    • Second summer term from June 1, 2017 to June 28, 2017
    • August intersession from July 1, 2017 to July 30, 2017
  • A nonrefundable registration fee of $50 will be assessed during this period.

Phase 3 Registration Period

  • Students who register during Phase 3 will be billed on the next monthly bursar statement.These bills will be emailed to your UM issued email address.
  • The dates for Phase 3 are as follows:
    • Intersession from May 15, 2017 to May 16, 2017
    • First summer term from May 30, 2017 to June 1. 2017
    • Full summer from May 30, 2017 to June 5, 2017
    • Second summer term from June 29, 2017 to July 3, 2017
    • August intersession from July 31, 2017 to August 1, 2017
  • A nonrefundable registration fee of $100 will be assessed during and after this period.

Payment Due Dates

  • Full payment of tuition and fees is due on the following dates:
    • Intersession—May 15, 2017
    • First summer term and full summer—May 15, 2017
    • Second summer term—June 15, 2017
    • August intersession—July 15, 2017
  • These due dates remain the same for all of the registration periods (Phases 1, 2 and 3).
  • Payment of the full account balance must be received by the due date to avoid service fees.
  • A monthly service fee (1.5 percent) will be assessed on charges that are unpaid by the payment due date.
  • If you pay by mail, please mail your payment at least five (5) business days prior to the due date to ensure it is received by the due date.
  • Your account must be current for you to register for future enrollment periods. “Current” means that tuition and fees for the current and previous enrollment periods are paid in full, and all other charges are less than 30 days old.
  • The University of Mississippi reserves the right to cancel a student’s registration for nonpayment of tuition and fees for a previous enrollment period.

You may pay your account or change your billing address online at

Back to Top

Final Examination Schedule, Summer 2017

Go to and click on Final Exam Schedule to see the final exam schedule for summer 2017.

Privacy Act

Notification of Privacy Rights Under the Family Rights and Privacy Act (General Education Provisions Act, Sec. 438, Pub. L. 90-247, Title IV, as Amended).

I. Subject to limitations specified in the Act, eligible students are assured the following rights pertaining to their educational records.

  1. The right to inspect and review their records, to request reasonable explanations and interpretations of them, and to obtain copies of them at their own expenses.
  2. The right to seek correction of the records through a request to amend them or through a formal hearing.
  3. The right to control the disclosure of personally identifiable information from their records.

II. The following information about eligible students will be treated as directory information and be subject to release.

  1. A. Name, home and local address, published telephone listing, email address, date of birth, photograph.
  2. School or college, classification (Fr., Soph., Jr., Sr., Gr.), dates of attendance, awards, degrees and honors, date graduated, and the most recent educational agency or institution attended.
  3. Participation in officially recognized activities and sports, fraternity and/or sorority affiliation and educational societies, and vital statistics, such as height and weight, for members of athletic teams.

III. Release of Education Records

  1. The university is authorized to provide access to student records to campus officials, employees and contracted agencies who have legitimate educational interest in such access, without the student’s written consent. These persons have responsibilities in connection with campus academic, administrative or service functions and have reason for using student records connected with their campus or other related academic/administrative responsibilities as opposed to a personal or private interest. Such determination will be made on a case-by-case basis.
  2. University officials will release educational information upon receipt of a signed, dated and written consent of the student that must specify the records that may be disclosed and identify the party to whom the disclosure may be made.  Student may also update the “access for Relatives/Guardians” in

IV. Questions regarding records, the release of information and/or to request a paper copy of the Privacy Act may be directed to the Office of the Registrar, University of Mississippi, P.O. Box 1848, University, MS 38677. The email address is, and the telephone number is 662.915.7792.

Back to Top

Federal Financial Aid and the Attendance Verification Policy

Per federal regulations, you establish eligibility for aid only if you actually “SHOW UP” for your classes. Therefore, your presence in a class will be documented by the instructor through taking roll or by use of attendance ID scanners. This will be done at one of the class meetings within the first two weeks of class for a regular Fall/Spring semester. (Shorter time frames apply for mini-terms like Winter Intersession and summer terms).

All courses must be verified. Note that this policy also applies to online classes, semester-based independent study courses, thesis/dissertation hours, labs, Study Abroad, and internships – although the methods of “attendance collection” are modified.

Processing of federal aid is affected by non-attendance in the following ways:

1. Once the semester starts, disbursement will be held until the University confirms that you have attended at least one class.

2. On the Mandatory Drop Date (MDD), Financial Aid will “lock in” your enrollment as of the end of that day based ONLY on those courses where attendance has been verified. These are the credit hours that will be used to determine your final aid eligibility for the term. Any previously disbursed aid may have to be adjusted, which may mean reduced aid amounts and/or paybacks. Please visit to confirm the MDD for each term.

On or after the MDD, you will be dropped from classes that you failed to attend.  You may still be responsible for your tuition and fees.

UM also designates 3 different types of F grade, based on attendance verification.

  • Earned F – The student “finished” the class.  It confirms that the student is not a withdrawal.
  • Abandonment F – The student did have attendance confirmed in the course at least one time, but they did not finish the class.
  • No Attendance F – No attendance was ever confirmed for this course.  It cannot be used to document eligibility for Title IV aid, and may necessitate paybacks. This course will not be included in the determination of Satisfactory Academic Progress, either.

For more information, please visit


Students can formally withdraw from the university online at, or they can provide written notification either via fax, mail, or in person to the Office of the Registrar.  Detailed information about the withdrawal process is provided in the Undergraduate Catalog.

All students should be aware that withdrawing can adversely affect financial aid eligibility.  The Office of Financial Aid can provide guidance in those cases.

  • For schedule cancellations (prior to the beginning of the semester or term), the student account will be charged back in full for all disbursed aid so that it can be returned to the source.
  • If withdrawal occurs during the University’s refund period (when tuition and fee refunds apply), all institutional aid that has credited to the student account must be repaid in full.  Please refer to the Academic Calendar for the appropriate dates.
  • Some scholarships and grants (Academic Excellence, MTAG, etc.) may be denied for the next term of attendance.
  • If a student withdraws after receiving federal aid, they may be required to repay all or a prorated portion of funds. This definition applies to the Title IV programs (Pell Grant, SEOG, TEACH, Work-Study, Direct Loans, Perkins Loan, and PLUS loans).  See the following section on “Return of Title IV Funds”, which explains the calculation.   Students are considered to have “withdrawn” if they do not complete all the days in in the enrollment period that they were scheduled to complete.  For purposes of federal aid, the following are all considered “withdrawals”:
  1. An official withdrawal is defined as dropping all credit hours down to zero during the course of a semester or term, which provides formal notification that attendance has ceased. This definition does not apply to situations where individual courses are dropped while overlapping enrollment is still being maintained in other classes.
  1. Because the OFA rolls mini-sessions (also known as “modules”) into a combined term for Fall (Fall 1, Fall 2, and the regular full-length Fall Semester), Spring (Winter Intersession plus Spring 1, Spring 2, and the regular Spring Semester) and Summer (May Intersession, First Summer, Full Summer, Second Summer, and August Intersession), withdrawal also occurs when a student completes one or more modules but fails to enroll in a subsequent module where attendance had been expected (and aid had been awarded on that basis). For example:
    • If a student receives aid based on enrollment in both First Summer and Second Summer but drops and/or cancels classes or does not complete all mini-sessions, then a prorated portion of federal aid may need to be returned.
    • In addition, any aid that was based on the level of enrollment (full-time, ¾-time, ½-time, or less than ½-time) may have to be reduced.  (This is applicable to the Federal Pell Grant and Federal TEACH, among other aid programs.)
    • Also, the Cost of Attendance may have to be adjusted (for example, living expense allowances reduced) if the period of enrollment changes).
    • The only exception is if the Office of Financial Aid receives written confirmation that the student will return to complete a later mini-session in the semester.
  1. Unofficial withdrawals occur when students simply stop attending classes during a term. Although the students did not formally withdraw from UM, they did not complete the period of enrollment for which federal aid was disbursed. The U.S. Department of Education mandates that universities develop a mechanism for determining whether a student who is a recipient of Title IV funds has ceased attendance without notification.   To meet this requirement, Financial Aid has created a term-based report that identifies all students who received federal aid and posted all “F,” “W”, and/or “I” grades.  For students falling into these categories, we must determine if they actually began attendance, per the Attendance Verification Policy.  Students are processed as schedule cancellations (if never attended) or as unofficial withdrawals (if attended at least once, but then abandoned all courses without officially withdrawing.  Financial Aid will use the midpoint of the enrollment period as the default date for when attendance stopped, unless the student can document attendance past the midpoint.

Refund, repayment and withdrawal policies are subject to change, without notice, in order to comply with administrative and regulatory requirements.


Back to Top

Return of Federal Financial Aid Funds when Students Officially or Unofficially Withdraw

Special rules apply when students withdraw after receiving student financial aid (SFA) for the term from any of the following programs:

      • Federal Pell Grant
      • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
      • TEACH Grant
      • Federal Perkins Loan
      • Federal Direct Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Loan
      • Federal Direct PLUS Loan (for graduate students)
      • Federal Direct PLUS Loan (for undergraduate students)
      • Other Title IV programs

These rules are federally mandated. Before the University of Mississippi can calculate any tuition/fee refunds to a student under the institutional refund policy (see the Academic Calendar at for this policy, which is administered by the Office of the Bursar), the Office of Financial Aid must determine whether any financial aid funds should be paid back.

The Higher Education Amendments of 1998 define withdrawal as failure to complete the period of attendance on which federal aid eligibility was based. Therefore, this policy affects not only those individuals who complete the formal withdrawal notification process (as specified by the registrar), but also those students who simply stop attending classes. In either case, when a recipient of Title IV funds ceases attendance during a term, the university must calculate how much SFA was earned by the student.

A percentage is determined by the following formula:

Number of calendar days completed in the term as of the date of withdrawal
Total number of calendar days in the term

If this percentage is more than 60 percent, no paybacks will be processed. If the result is 60 percent or less, then this percentage is used to determine how much of the aid that was disbursed (or could have been disbursed) is considered earned. The remainder must be returned to the Title IV program(s). Return of funds is processed as outlined below. (Please contact the Office of Financial Aid to confirm the 60 percent point for your individual situation, since periods of enrollment are variable in the summer.)

The university must return the lesser of (1) the amount of SFA not earned or (2) the institutional costs (tuition, housing, etc.) that the student incurred multiplied by the percentage of SFA not earned.

The student (or parent, in the case of a PLUS loan) must repay the amount of unearned SFA remaining after the university has returned its share.

Allocation of Returned Funds
Unearned funds are first applied (paid back) to any Title IV loans borrowed during the term. As stipulated by federal regulations, funds are returned in the following order:

      • Federal Direct Unsubsidized loan
      • Federal Direct Subsidized loan
      • Federal Perkins loan
      • Federal Direct Grad PLUS loan (for graduate students)
      • Federal Direct PLUS loans (for undergraduate students)

When the school must return loan funds on the student’s behalf (or parent’s, in the case of a PLUS loan), the student’s bursar account will be charged for this amount. When the federal calculation determines, instead, that it is the student’s (or parent’s) responsibility to return funds, the unearned Title IV loan funds are repaid in accordance with the terms of the loan.

If unearned funds remain after all loans have been repaid, the remaining unearned funds must be credited to Title IV programs in the following order:

      • Federal Pell Grant
      • Federal SEOG
      • TEACH Grant

When the school must return grant funds on the student’s behalf, the student’s bursar account will be charged for this amount. When the responsibility for repaying funds to the Title IV grant programs falls to the student, the student is required to return only 50 percent of the grant repayment as calculated using the federal formula. Grant overpayments may be collected according to arrangements satisfactory to the school, or by overpayment collection procedures prescribed by the Department of Education.

Back to Top

2017 Summer School Financial Aid Information

Please Read This Notice

Funds for summer aid will be extremely limited. Students are encouraged to explore credit-based loan options such as the Parent PLUS (for parents of dependent undergraduates), Grad PLUS (for law, graduate, MBA or Pharmacy PY2, PY3, PY4 students), or private educational loans as primary sources of aid for summer.

Students who received federal Pell Grant funds for full-time enrollment in both fall and spring semesters (or 100 percent of their scheduled Pell award) will not be eligible for additional Pell in the summer. In addition, the SEOG (Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant) allocation is typically exhausted during the fall/spring. As a result, very little grant aid is available in the summer.

If you are awarded Title IV federal aid (Pell Grant, SEOG, Direct loans, Perkins loans, PLUS loans or TEACH grants) for summer, please be aware of the federal regulations that apply to your disbursement.

      • Before funds can be released to you, YOU MUST BE ENROLLED in all credit hours for all summer terms that you have reported on your summer application.
      • We must have CONFIRMATION OF YOUR ATTENDANCE in at least one summer class before aid is disbursed. So funds cannot be released to you prior to starting class. (Please plan accordingly.)

Once Title IV funds are disbursed, if you do not begin attendance in all intended hours for all sessions, OR you withdraw from a summer term, the Office of Financial Aid will be required to perform a Return of Title IV Funds calculation based on the total number of days you had been expected to complete. Typically, this means that you will have paybacks applied to your bursar account – unless you provide our office with written notice of intent to enroll in an upcoming summer term.

Follow the Checklist Below

          • Submit an electronic Summer Financial Aid Application, available on the Financial Aid Web page beginning March 27, 2017. We recommend that you submit the application by April 15, 2017. Please be aware that aid cannot be processed until the application is complete and accurate. Since revisions will delay processing, students should only complete the application after finalizing their summer course schedule. The Summer Financial Aid Application can be found at
          • Have a complete, correct and verified 2016-17 FAFSA on file in the Office of Financial Aid when you submit your online Summer Financial Aid Application. Be aware that the last date to file a 2016-17 federal application is June 30, 2017. If you are changing programs for the summer term (for example, from undergraduate to graduate), please be certain to update your FAFSA. It must match your program type in order for you to receive student financial aid. (This requirement does not apply to scholarship-only recipients.)
          • Students will be awarded federal aid for the summer terms according to their remaining eligibility for the 2016-17 award year.
          • Students who will be participating in Study Abroad or other programs off-campus should review the Financial Aid Information for Study Abroad and Consortium Study located at .
          • Undergraduate students must enroll for a minimum of six (6) hours to qualify for most types of summer financial aid. Law and graduate students must enroll for a minimum of five (5) hours to qualify for most types of summer financial aid.
          • List any scholarship on the application that you are expecting to receive for the summer terms. Remember: most of the scholarships that are awarded for the academic year (such as Academic Excellence, Phi Theta Kappa and MTAG/MESG) do not pay for summer terms. There are some scholarships that will pay for summer hours, however, such as Child of Faculty/Staff Scholarships and the Sumners Grant. If you believe that you are to be awarded a scholarship from a department or organization for summer, you will also want to confirm that award with the source.
          • Be admitted for the appropriate term and program. This is done through the Office of Admissions.

Students who are transferring to Ole Miss for the 2017 summer sessions must complete all of the above requirements. Be certain that you have added our school code (002440) to your FAFSA by calling the federal processor at 800-433-3243 or accessing your application online at

If you make changes to the number of summer hours in which you are registered, or you decide to attend a different combination of summer terms than originally reported, you must submit a revised summer application. The Office of Financial Aid will not know to update your awards without it. However, students are limited to one revision of the application; all other changes must be made in person by talking to a financial aid adviser. Please be aware that enrollment changes can hold up disbursement of summer aid.

Students who plan to use a prepaid tuition program such as MPACT must contact the Office of the Bursar. Newly admitted students planning to use a prepaid tuition program must also complete the Prepaid Tuition Plan Documentation Form for the Office of Financial Aid (if applying for federal aid, since the asset value of the plan may have to be reported on the FAFSA).

Students must secure enough financial aid or make other arrangements to cover all charges for summer as well as any previous balance. Under federal regulations, the university has no authority to pay outstanding summer charges with financial aid awarded for the fall 2017 semester (or any subsequent semester) unless the total balance due is $200 or less.

The University of Mississippi does not discriminate against any student protected by law based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, or genetic information.

Back to Top